Admission to the
Traditional Nursing Program
Please fill out the Application to the College and indicate Nursing as your major >>
Please Note: Student must submit a letter of intent to apply to the nursing program every semester along with your driver's license showing an Ocean County address.
Before you apply, check the table below to be
certain that you can meet all entrance criteria:
1. All Nursing Applicants must provide an Official High School Transcript that verifies graduation or a copy of your GED. If you attended another college(s), Official Transcript(s) must be sent to the Admissions Office.
must meet ONE of the following
three options and provide official transcripts:
2a.* Earned scores on ACT examinations-
Composite-24 or SAT I minimum
of 1100 combined Math and Critical Reading
(see curriculum link)
2b. A cumulative college GPA
of 2.7 with all general education requirements listed below
completed. All previous colleges
2c.* An earned bachelor's degree
from a regionally accredited
college or university. May take general education requirements with nursing with the exception of A&P I&II
(see curriculum link)
3. All Nursing Applicants who are in their final semester of completing the Nursing Prerequisities need to complete a criminal background check with Adam Safeguard. Go to: www.adamsafeguard.com, click on "School Background" under "Online Access" and locate Ocean County College. You will not receive a "Date of Completion" without a "clean background check". There should be no hits what so ever. This is a requirement of the clinical agencies.
4. Applicants must schedule the Test
of Essential Academic Skills
(TEAS) Exam (taken at the Ocean County College Testing Center only). Call 732-255-0400 ext. 2240 to schedule an appointment. You will not receive a "Date of Completion" without a passing score on the TEAS test.
Further information on this test, including an optional review course and rules about retaking the test in the event you do not pass it, can be found at the Admission to Nursing web page.
5. You must submit a copy of your Driver's License showing an Ocean County address with every Letter of Intent.
General Education Requirements
(students without a degree or high ACT/SAT scores must complete these classes before entering the program)
grade of C in the following
- ENGL 151 & 152: English I & II
- PSYC 172: General Psychology
- CHEM 180: Introductory Chemistry or CHEM 181: Gen. Chem. I
- BIOL 130 & BIOL 131: Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II (must be repeated if course was taken more than ten years ago)
- One Math course (except MATH 151) from the list of Approved General Education Courses (MATH 156 recommended)
Humanities course from the list of Approved General Education Courses
- OCC Requirement: Any course from the list of Approved General Education Courses or ACAD 155 or any HEHP course totalling 3 credits.
***Microbiology (BIOL 232) is not a general education requirement, however, it must be taken before entering
Nursing 3. If you are transferring the course, it cannot be older than 10 years and would have to be repeated.***
*We strongly recommend that students
with a degree or required ACT/SAT scores complete as many of their general education requirements as possible before entering the
Students accepted without completing their
nursing general education requirements must
take those required courses concurrently with
the other nursing courses with the exception of A&P I & II. They may only be taken concurrently with nursing if you have a degree or required ACT/SAT scores (see Curriculum link).
with disabilities are encouraged to contact
for Academic Excellence for additional assistance.
**We reserve the right to change admission criteria and curriculum at our discretion.**