Welcome | About Our AAS/RN Program | Admissions to Nursing | On Site On Line Nursing Program | On Site One Line RN Program at SOMC | Admissions to On Site On Line Nursing Program | Curriculum | RN to BSN Kean@Ocean | High School Students
Application Deadline for Fall 2014 is March 31, 2014
Please do not apply until all the general education requirements are filled.*
Previous applicants who were not accepted must re-apply every semester.
Before you apply, check the table below to be
certain that you can meet all entrance criteria:
1. All applicants must have earned a high school diploma or GED
- Official Transcripts must be provided - college and/or high school
must meet ONE of the following
2a. Earned scores on ACT examinations-
Composite-24 or SAT I minimum
of 1100 combined Math and Critical Reading
2b. A cumulative college GPA
of 2.7 with all general education requirements listed below
completed. All previous college credits
are considered. (no degree)
2c. An earned bachelor's degree*
from a regionally accredited
college or university. May take general education requirements with Nursing courses with the exception of A & P I and II (see below)
3. All applicants must complete
a criminal background check after you are accepted into the program and have passed the TEAS test. All of our clinical facilities require students to have a clean criminal background check before they are allowed access to their facilities. Additionally, graduates of our Nursing Program will be required to undergo an even more extensive background check. It is advisable for all prospective nursing students to consider this background check before pursuing entry into our program.
4. Applicants must schedule the TEAS Test.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) passed as determined by the college. Students
can schedule this test after general education requirements are met thru the testing center.
Further information on this test, including an optional review course and rules about retaking the test in the event you do not pass it, can be found at the Admission to Nursing web page at http://www.ocean.edu/academics/programs_of_study/Nursing/AdmissionsNursing.htm. Click on Admissions requirements for the Traditional Program or On Site On Line Program link which addresses the TEAS Testing.
5. Applicants must have a "hands on" medical background such as LPN, CNA, EMT and at least 6 months experience
General Education Requirements
grade of "C" in the following
- ENGL 151 & ENGL 152: English I & II
- PSYC 172: General Psychology
- CHEM 180; Introductory Chemistry or CHEM 181: Gen. Chem. I
- BIOL 130 & BIOL 131: Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II (must be repeated if more than 10 years old)
- One Math course (except MATH 151) from the list of Approved General Education Courses (MATH 156 recommended)
- One Humanities course from the list of Approved General Education Courses
- OCC Requirement: Any course from the list of Approved General Education Courses or ACAD 155 or any HEHP course totalling 3 credits.
*Students with a degree are strongly recommend to
complete as many of their general education
requirements as possible before entering the On Site One Line Week Nursing Program. Students accepted without completing their
nursing general education requirements must
take those required courses concurrently with
the other nursing courses and may only do so if you have a Bachelors Degree. These additional
classes would require an additional time commitment
beyond the day required for the On Site On Line option.
Admission is on a competitive basis where GPA, TEAS test results, healthcare experience and academic performance will be considered. Priority is given to Ocean County residents.
**We reserve the right to change admission criteria and curricumlum at our discretion**
with disabilities are encouraged to contact
for Academic Excellence for additional assistance.