New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey is an alternate route teacher education program. Students may choose to take the program as either a certification requirement to become a teacher in New Jersey, or for graduate-level credit toward a Master of Arts degree from NJCU.
This alternate route to teaching program is a partnership between NJ community colleges, New Jersey City University, the NJ Department of Education, the NJ Association of School Administrators, and the NJ Principals and Supervisors Association.
A Certificate of Eligibility (CE) is required for New Pathways to Teaching in NJ. For persons who do not hold a CE, or who are seeking to obtain (an) additional CE(s), the following class is required: Introduction to Teaching - 24 Hour Program.
Introduction to the Teaching Profession - 24-Hour Program
For information about the New Jersey Professional Development for Teachers Regulations, please visit the New Jersey Department of Education web site at: http://www.state.nj.us/education.
Spring 2015 – Introduction to the Teaching Profession 24-Hour Course Schedule:
February 6, 7, 8, 2015
March 9 – 18, 2015 (on-site/online)
April 17, 18, 19, 2015
May 15, 16, 17, 2015
Please Call to register 732-255-0477
- Stage I is a 45-hour pre-service program of in-class instruction with 15 additional hours of guided classroom observations.
- Stage II is a 165-hour program with content specific courses. K-8 teachers must also complete an additional 90 hours in the Teaching of Literacy and the Teaching of Mathematics.
Stage I Schedule - July 2014
Register now! Call School Relations office for more details 732.255.0477.
- Prospective alternate route teachers must hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 2.75 GPA from an accredited institution with a major appropriate for the subject area license.
- Stage I candidates must hold a Certificate of Eligibility (CE). Requirements for obtaining a CE are outlined in this handbook: NPTNJ Overview (PDF).
- Candidates for Stage II must have successfully completed Stage I and have secured a teaching position.
A partnership between Ocean County College and New Jersey City University (NJCU) gives New Pathways to Teaching students the opportunity to participate in a continuation of their Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Students must register on-line at NJCU and must have a password and a registration permission number indicating acceptance into the MAT program.
NPTNJ- Degree Completion Options
School Degree Credits transfer in from NPTNJ NJCU Master of Arts in Teaching
NJCU Master of Arts in Educational Technology
Contact: Dr. Allan Futernick, 201.200.3410 Central Michigan University Master of Arts in Education
Contact: Stefanie Sager-Carroll, 609.723.8100 Thomas Edison State College Master of Arts in Professional Studies
Contact: Dr. Esther Taitsman or Dr. Sonja Eveslage, 609.984.1168
College of Saint Elizabeth Master of Arts in Education
16 credits (graduate option)
13 credits - purchase
Contact: Dr. Allan Markowitz, 973.290.4328 or Maria Doyle, 973.290.4374