Mission of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
In our age of rapidly growing global connections, understanding the Middle East and North African (MENA) region is vitally important to the education and careers of our students. The mission of Ocean County College's Center for Middle Eastern Studies is to introduce students to a comprehensive student of the region's languages, culture, history, and place in the modern world. The center is also a hub for academic and training outreach initiatives in the MENA region through the creation of national and international partnerships.
The Center has the following objectives related to study of the Middle East and North African (MENA) region.
- Assist students in widening their academic and professional opportunities in a global marketplace.
- Help students gain an appreciation for cultural difference, challenging their own cultural perspectives and coming to better understand the varying cultures in the MENA region.
- Help students to understand the political, religious, and economic motives that drive the people of the MENA region.
- Introduce students to the various professional career opportunities in the MENA region.
- Prepare students for further academic study in the Middle East.
- Create links between OCC and a variety of educational institutions in the region.
- Initiate study abroad and exchange opportunities for students and professors.
- Sponsor MENA region events, including guest speakers and workshops featuring experts in interdisciplinary fields.