Please fill out the Application to the College and indicate Nursing as your major.
Please Note: Student must submit a letter of intent to apply to the nursing program every semester along with your driver's license showing an Ocean County address.
Before you apply, check the content below to be certain that you can meet all entrance criteria:
1. All Nursing applicants must provide an Official High School Transcript that verifies graduation or a copy of your GED. Other official college transcripts should also be sent to Admissions to be considered for transfer credits.
2. Applicant must meet ONE of the following 3 options and provide official transcripts:
a. *Earned scores on ACT exams - Composite-24 or SAT minimum of 1100 combined Critical Reading (or Evidence Based Reading and Writing) and Math.
b. A cumulative college GPA of 2.7 with all general education requirements listed below completed. All previous colleges are considered.
c. * An earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. May take general education requirements with nursing with the exception of A&P I and II
3. All Nursing Applicants who are in their final semester of completing the Nursing Prerequisites need to complete a criminal background check with Adam Safeguard at www.adamsafeguard.com. Go to "School Background" under "online Access" and locate Ocean County College. You will not receive a date of completion without a clean background check meaning there cannot be an "hits". This a clinical agency requirement.
4. Applicants must schedule the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Exam. This is to be taken at OCC only. Please go to www.go.ocean.edu/test to schedule an appointment.
Further information on this test can be found on the Testing Center web page.
5. You must submit a copy of your driver's license showing Ocean County residency with every letter of intent.
Nursing General Education Requirements
Students without a degree or high ACT/SAT scores must complete these classes before entering the program.
Minimum grade of C in the following courses:
ENGL 151 and 152: English I and II
PSYC 172: General Psychology
BIOL 130 and BIOL 131: Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II (Must be repeated if course was taken more than 10 years ago. Face to face courses preferred.)
CHEM 180: Intro to Chemistry or CHEM 181: Gen. Chem I
One Math course (except MATH 151) from the list of Approved General Education Courses (MATH 156 recommended)
One Humanities course from the list of Approved General Education Courses
***Microbiology (BIOL 232) is not a general education requirement, however, it must be taken before proceeding to Nursing 3.
*It is strongly recommended that students with a degree or required ACT/SAT scores complete as many of their general education requirements as soon as possbile before entering the program. Students accepted without completing their nursing general education requirements must take those required courses concurrently with the other nursing courses with the exception of A&P I & II which must be completed before acceptance.
We reserve the right to change admission criteria and curriculum at our discretion.