- Each academic year consists of two major semesters: Fall and Spring
- Each semester is 15 weeks in length
- Grades and credits are awarded at the end of each semester
- Students may also enroll in courses during summer sessions and QuickTerm (a 10-week term) within the fall and spring semesters
- OCC publishes a course schedule every semester that is available on campus at the beginning of each registration period and via the OCC website
- The most current schedule of classes is available on the OCC website.
- Students should make sure they are in the correct degree program. Students who are unsure should visit the Advising Office.
- Students should understand their degree requirements. Course Maps (Curriculum Guides) can be helpful planning tools.
- Students should understand and follow academic standards and policies in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Students should adhere to academic calendar deadlines in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Students should log into Ocean Connect on a regular basis to check their OCC email. Important College news and announcements are communicated to students via their OCC email account.
- Students should access their Student Planning account to view their degree audit, plan courses and register for classes.
- Students should register for "Viking Alert" through Ocean Connect if they wish to receive campus-wide Emergency Alerts and important College announcements on their mobile devices.
Organize your life. Create folders for all your courses and keep all important OCC information in one place.
Create short and long term plans. Set goals and know the small steps you need to take every day to reach those goals.
Engage with your faculty. Ask questions about your coursework and the subject material. Making a connection with faculty might be the most important action you take at OCC.
Accept responsibility for your own education. Know what you are supposed to do and ask your academic advisor when you are unsure.
Never give up. Believe in yourself and surround yourself with people who believe in you.