Freshman Year (up to 32 crs)
- Make an appointment to see an advisor, and take advantage of the services available to you at the career center, ground floor, Administration Building.
- Start thinking about what you would like to major in and explore which degree program at Ocean County College best suits that major.
- Continue to request information from four-year institutions about applying, deadlines, entrance requirements, majors available, housing options, types of services available, etc.
- Visit college campuses (especially if you would like to go to a very specialized school or attend a school out of state).
- Continue to explore your choices for a major and your choices for transfer colleges.
- Continue to visit colleges and gather information.
- Firm up your options for your Ocean County College degree and be sure you are meeting all degree requirements.
Sophomore Year (33-64 crs)
- Decide on a major; explore your major in the catalogs of your top 3 or 4 colleges to see what kind of courses you will be expected to complete.
- Narrow your college choices down to 3 or 4 schools. Be sure to attend a recruitment event or two at each college, especially events that allow you to experience life on campus. If you plan to be a residential student, be sure to see the residence facilities and visit the cafeteria - eat a meal in the cafeteria!
- Gather applications and explore deadlines for admission and financial aid.
- Meet with your advisor to be sure you are on track for meeting graduation requirements.
- Send out all applications, official transcripts, and financial aid paperwork well in advance of the deadline, even if the college offers admission on a rolling basis. Getting your application in early allows you more time in the whole process.
- Continue to strive for excellence in your current classes - each college will require you to send another updated transcript at the end of the semester, which reflects completed courses, grades and degree earned. (This will need to be sent again, in addition to the original copy you sent at the time of application. Failure to send it will result in an incomplete evaluation of your credits).
- Await decision letters and make your final selection. Be sure to read all mail from each college carefully. It will contain information about deadlines for making your tuition deposit, registration, housing, health forms, etc.