The IT industry in the U.S. is growing!
According to Labor Insights, the U.S. has approximately 340,500 job openings in IT with an average salary of $50,800 a year for an entry-level IT support job. Learn the skills you need to find the job you want with our Google IT Support Professional Certificate.
This course is designed for students who have an interest in a career in the field of Information Technology. It is a hands-on, online learning program designed to prepare you for entry-level jobs in IT support upon completion of the certificate training. The course covers the fundamentals of IT support, including troubleshooting, customer service, networking, operating systems, system administration, and security. The course also provides hands-on practice for software installation, network troubleshooting, system maintenance, and more.
The Google IT Support Certificate prepares you for in-demand jobs such as:
- Help desk technician/specialist
- System administrator
- Data center operator/specialist
- Tech support specialist
- Network troubleshooter
- IT Analyst
- IT Coordinator
- IT security specialist
- Network system administrator
- Telecommunication Specialist
- Customer support specialist
- Cloud system administrator
Upon completing the Google IT Support Certificate, you will:
- Understand technical support fundamentals which include examination of hardware components of computer systems, software types, software installation, boot processes, and the importance of troubleshooting.
- Explore basic computer networking which includes the network layers, TCP/IP, OSI networking models, and DNS.
- Learn operating systems which include Windows and Linux file systems, Windows graphical user interface, Windows command line interface, and Linux shell.
- Familiar with system administration and infrastructure services to apply skills as they relate to server operating systems, virtualization, network services, DNS for web services, and how troubleshooting network services.
- Assess intricacies of IT security, network, and information defense against attacks which include security network attacks, encryption practices, malicious software, encryption practices, cryptographic methods, and security measures in network environments
The Google IT course is 5 months long and fully online. Most of the coursework is independent and includes weekly Webex meetings with a professor throughout the term.
Course code: CECI-727 Google IT Support Professional Certificate
Clock hours: 110
Professor Edmond Hong joined the Computer Science department in 2015 after retiring from the telecommunications industry, where he worked for companies such as AT&T Bell Laboratories, Lucent and Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs, and Verizon for more than 30 years. Edmond led several efforts in IT management, ranging from internet service, data center, IT support, and cloud computing to enterprise network architecture design.