The A.S. in Homeland Security provides students with a broad understanding of safety and security issues, including terrorism, natural and man-made disasters, and emergency management. The program focuses on prevention and protection, preparedness and response, information sharing and analysis, and research and technology.
- COMM 154 Fundamentals of Public Speaking (3 Credits)
- ENGL 151 English I (3 Credits)
- ENGL 152 English II (3 Credits)
- HLSC 170 Introduction to Homeland Security (3 Credits)
- HLSC 171 Fundamentals of Emergency Management (3 Credits)
- HLSC 172 Domestic and International Terrorism (3 Credits)
- HLSC 173 Introduction to Security (3 Credits)
- HLSC 174 Introduction to the Intelligence Function (3 Credits)
- HLSC 201 Organizational Integration and Management (3 Credits)
- HLSC 210 Risk Management and Analysis (3 Credits)
- POLI 263 Introduction to International Relations (3 Credits)
- MATH 156 Introduction to Statistics (3 Credits)
1 of the following 2 Comp/Info Literacy courses is required:
- CSIT 110 Computer Literacy (3 Credits)
- INFO 110 Library Research Skills and Information Literacy (3 Credits)
- Lab Science Gen. Ed. Requirement (4 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirement must be taken from the list of Approved General Education Lab Science courses (course type: GSCL).
- Social Science Gen Ed (3 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirement must be taken from the list of Approved General Education Social Science courses (course type: GSOC).
- Additional General Education Requirement (3 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirement must be taken from the list of Approved General Education courses for communication (GCOM), mathematics (GMAT), lab science (GSCL), technological competency or information literacy (GTEC), social science (GSOC), humanities (GHUM), history (GHIS) or diversity (GDIV).
- History General Education (3 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirements must be taken from the list of Approved General Education History courses (course type: GHIS). Selection should be based upon the requirements of the four-year institution.
- Electives (to meet the required 64 Credits): 6 Credits Developmental courses may not be used to satisfy this requirement.
For more information
CAREERS IN HOMELAND SECURITY
Have you already applied for this degree?
Current students are encouraged to use curriculum guides, along with their Student Planning Degree Audit (My Progress Screen), to help make educated, accurate choices when selecting courses.
honors by contract
A wide range of courses are available for students to participate in OCC’s “Honors by Contract” Program!
Official* 2017-2018 Catalog
Our interactive catalog is updated throughout the year.
*Course requirements for degrees can and do change over time. Students are responsible for fulfilling the degree requirements that are in effect when they begin pursuing the degree at the college.