Have you ever wondered…
- When chemical toxins are accidentally released into the water supply or into the air, who tests to ensure that the levels of toxins are safe for the public?
- When a natural disaster floods basement or disrupts the sewer systems, who tests for possible toxicity and manages the cleanup?
- When schools and colleges need annual on-site inspections of their laboratories and drinking water, who completes the task?
It is the Industrial Hygiene Technician who provides these services in homes, in schools, and for industry.
At OCC, we offer a 17-credit certificate in Industrial Hygiene/Hazardous Materials Management that a student can complete in just two semesters. Simultaneously, students can complete a number of industry recognized professional credentials at OCC that will further increase a student’s employment and salary possibilities.
Salary and Growth Possibilities
- Salary in this field ranges from $64,000 annually for entry level positions to a high of $101,000 for positions with advanced credentials.
- There is a projected increase of 24% in the number of jobs that will be available in this field over the next five years.
source EMSI*- retrieved November 2021
Career and Academic Pathways
- Career as Industrial Hygiene Technician
Certificate & Industry Recognized Credentials
- Career as Industrial Hygiene Technician with Industry Credentials (advanced)
Is this program right for you?
- If you enjoy working with the public and problem solving, this may be a good fit for you.
- You will be working independently in the outdoors and in laboratory settings, so if you would like a career outside of an office setting, this career may be right for you.
- If you are looking for access to a new career and would like to get started as soon as possible, this is an ideal career pathway for you, as the timeline to an entry level position is about 6 months.
Program Chair – Bio
Lincoln A. Simmons, College Lecturer in the School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, is a faculty member and an accomplished environmental leader with over twenty years of technical and management responsibility involving environmental sustainability, hazardous materials management, industrial hygiene, environmental site assessments and indoor air. He has led environmental projects from concept to completion while managing teams, client relations and financial viability.
Mr. Simmons has worked as Project Director with Con-Test air and Water Engineering, ATC Environmental Consultants, and Warren Panzer engineers. He served as the President of ESTI/ESTCL and WIIL, full service Environmental Consulting and Construction Management firms.
Contact Professor Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732 255 0400 x2178.
* Economic Modeling Specialist International (EMSI) collects and integrates labor market data from government and private-sector sources.