GRADUATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR STUDENTS
Date & Time of Commencement Ceremony
- Friday, May 24, 2019 at 10:00 am – Gateway Building (#101).
- Graduates must arrive at OCC by 9:00 a.m. to prepare for the procession. Recommended parking is Lot #3.
- Graduates will assemble in the Hovnanian Health Sciences Building (#102).
- Graduates who arrive late will enter the procession at the end of the line.
- There is no rehearsal. Please arrive on time so you will know what to do for the ceremony.
- In the unlikelihood of inclement weather on Friday, May 24, 2019, the Commencement Ceremony will be cancelled. Students will report directly to the Gymnasium where pictures will be taken as graduates receive congratulations. More information will be provided, if necessary.
Commencement Security Announcement
To ensure the safety and security of our Ocean County College community, security procedures will be in place during our Commencement Ceremony on May 23, 2019.
ALL backpacks, large bags and umbrellas are prohibited from campus during the Commencement ceremony. All other bags will be subject to search.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
- Guests must arrive by 6:00 p.m., but no earlier than 4:30 p.m.
- Guests are not permitted to save seats.
- There is no limit on the number of guests. Tickets are not required.
- Strict Security Regulations will be followed. ALL umbrellas, backpacks and large bags are prohibited from campus during the Commencement Ceremony. All other bags will be subject to search.
- A section of Parking Lot 4 is designated for Handicapped Parking on a first-come, first-served basis. State-issued Handicapped Parking Pass required.
- Students participating in the Commencement Ceremony who require special accommodations should contact the Office of Student Life at 732.255.0400 Ext. 2139, at least three days prior to the ceremony.
- Handicapped Seating is available for Guests on a first-come, first-served basis. It is limited to the Guest plus one individual accompanying them.
Cap and Gown
- For all students who have submitted an application for graduation, an invitation will be mailed to your home.
- If you elected to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, the purchase of a cap and gown from the Herff Jones website was required.
- You should already have ordered a cap and gown at the Herff Jones website or purchased these items directly from the bookstore. Purchasing a cap and gown constitutes your registration to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
- If you have not purchased a cap and gown, it is assumed you have elected not to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
- Please note: If you do not complete the requirements for your degree by the end of the 2019 Summer Sessions, you must reapply for Graduation 2020.
Cap & Gown Distribution
- Pick up your Cap, Gown, Hood, and Green Tassel at the College Bookstore beginning May 6.
- Please present paid receipt at pickup.
- Questions concerning Caps and Gowns should be directed to the College Bookstore at 732.255.0333.
Special Tassels, Stoles, Cords and Pins
Due to the dependence on final grades, special tassels and pins will not be available when students pick up Caps and Gowns.
- Honors by Contract students who complete the program are eligible for the tassel and stole; these two items can be obtained from the Registration & Records Office on May 21 or 22.
- Students with a final grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher are eligible for Gold tassels; this item can be obtained from the Registration & Records Office on May 21 or 22.
- Phi Theta Kappa students are eligible for a Stole and Gold Tassel.
- Stole can be purchased from the OCC Bookstore.
- Gold Tassel can be obtained from Registration & Records on May 21 or 22.
- PTK members who have not already done so must immediately inform Student Life (732-255-0348) of plans to graduate. Failure to do so will result in your being omitted from the College Bookstore list for the Stole and your status will not be noted in the Commencement Program.
- NJ STARS students are eligible to receive a Pin. It can be obtained from the Registration & Records Office on May 21 or 22.
- Veteran Students are eligible to receive a Cord. It can be obtained from Student Life on May 21 or 22.
Actual diplomas will not be available at the ceremony. Diplomas can be picked up at The HUB:
- FALL 2018 completion graduates – Diplomas are already available.
- SPRING 2019 completion graduates – Diplomas will be available beginning July 22, 2019.
- SUMMER 2019 completion graduates – Diplomas will be available beginning October 21, 2019.
IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED TO PICK UP YOUR DIPLOMA
- Professional photographs of graduates will be taken as they receive congratulations.
- The photographer will e-mail proofs to you, but you are under no obligation to purchase..
- Family and friends may take their own pictures at the Ceremony.
If you have any questions regarding these instructions, please call the Registration and Records Office at 732-255-0304 or Student Life at 732-255-0348.