Academic Advising at OCC consists of a combination of professional and faculty advising.
The Advising, Transfer and Career Services Office consists of four full-time professional academic advisors, as well as several part-time academic advisors.
The professional advising staff provides students with the following services:
- Advising for degree-seeking students, non-degree students and students returning to OCC after time away
- New Student Orientation
- Advising for curriculum changes
- Advising for students intending to transfer to a four year institution
- Graduation Audits for students getting ready to graduate
Degree-seeking students are assigned to a faculty advisor. Faculty advisors assist students in exploring short and long-term academic goals and help students to understand OCC's curricular requirements. Faculty Advisors help students:
- Understand their degree audit (My Progress screen on Student Planning)
- Select classes
- Decide on a major
- Explore their area of study. Faculty Advisors are the best people to talk to about study in a particular field!
What can students expect from their advisors?
- We guide you in developing an academic plan, with a focus on short and long-term goals
- We assist you in understanding your degree requirements and staying on track
- We provide support for self, major and career exploration
- We help you to prepare for successful transfer or employment
Advisors expect students to:
- Take a proactive role in the academic advising experience
- Ensure that they are in the appropriate degree program.
- Understand degree requirements.
- Understand and follow academic policies in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Adhere to academic calendar deadlines in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Check Ocean Connect account to read email and announcements, view grades and register for courses.