Academic Advising at OCC consists of a combination of professional and faculty advising.
The Academic Advising Office consists of four full-time professional academic advisors, as well as several part-time academic advisors.
The professional advising staff provides students with the following services:
- Advising for part-time students, non-degree students and students returning to OCC after time away
- Supplemental advising for full-time students, when these students need assistance not provided by their faculty advisor
- Advising for NJ Stars students
- New Student Orientation
- Advising for curriculum changes
- Advising for students intending to transfer to a four year institution
Full-time students are assigned to a faculty advisor. Faculty advisors assist students in exploring short and long-term academic goals and help students to understand OCC's curricular requirements.
What can students expect from their advisors?
- Guidance in selecting courses and navigating degree requirements
- Prompt responses to questions
- Availability in person and via email to discuss questions and issues
- Assistance in resolving problems and issues
- Referral to appropriate people and offices for non-advising issues
Advisors expect students to:
- Take a proactive role in the academic advising experience
- Ensure that they are in the appropriate degree program.
- Understand degree requirements.
- Understand and follow academic policies in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Adhere to academic calendar deadlines in the catalog and on OCC's website.
- Check Ocean Connect account to read email and announcements, view grades and register for courses.