Tutoring is available to all Ocean County College or Kean-Ocean students who are currently enrolled in courses, as well as other students in partnership with OCC.
Tutoring hours and locations vary by subject. Please visit the Tutoring Homepage for the current list of available subjects, or use the navigation links on the left sidebar.
No. Tutoring is free to all currently enrolled OCC or Kean-Ocean students.
This is up to the discretion of the tutoring centers. Please ask.
- The Writing Center: appointments strongly suggested; walk-in dependent on availability.
- The Mathematics Center: walk-in only.
- Other Subject Tutoring: walk-in only.
For appointment-based tutoring, arrive on time. Students who arrive late may forfeit their appointment.
- The Writing Center: 30 minutes is standard
- The Mathematics Center: tutoring is not necessarily one-on-one, so a session does not have a predefined amount of time. We ask students to stay for the help they need, but be courteous and understanding that others require assistance as well.
- Tutoring in other subject areas: this is left to the discression of the tutor
To prepare, bring any assignment information, appropriate textbooks, and any work you have already done for the assignment. Bring questions, too. Make sure to arrive on time if you’ve made an appointment.
Well-trained professionals, paraprofessionals and peer tutors provide tutoring in OCC’s tutoring centers.
The Writing Center now offers virtual tutoring! You can submit your assignment online, and a tutor will review it and send your submission back within 48 hours (weekdays).
- E-mail your writing assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Within the email, provide:
- Your name
- Your instructor’s name
- Your course (ex. ENGL-151)
- Your Student ID number
- A detailed description of your writing assignment
- 2 – 3 questions you have about the assignment
The Mathematics Center or other subject tutoring only offer face-to-face sessions.
No. The Writing Center is available to all students who have papers for any subject, including, for example, STATS, COMM, HIST, PHIL, FILM, EDUC, SOCI, BUSN, etc. You may also come to The Writing Center for help with college transfer and application essays, scholarship essays, cover letters and resumes.
No. Students in any course that involves math, like Physics, Nursing and Engineering, are welcome to seek assistance at The Mathematics Center. Not all mathematics tutors can assist in these areas of science, so please be understanding if you have to wait for a particular tutor to become available.