The Tutoring Center provides free and friendly academic support in a wide variety of subjects to supplement your coursework. Professional, paraprofessional, and peer tutors are well-trained and committed to helping you become independent, confident learners as you complete your degree and enter, or continue in, the workforce.
We look forward to seeing you!
For the Summer 2023 semester, tutoring sessions are available for most STEM courses and for writing assignments in any course, as well as reading comprehension, transfer essays, and job search materials. Check the STEM Center link below for full list of supported courses for STEM tutoring.
Students who arrive at the Center without an appointment may be able to work with a tutor if one is available. Open walk-in hours for all MATH courses are held Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 1 PM.
Online synchronous sessions are one-on-one with a tutor and are conducted through Webex. Currently, all of our centers have the option of synchronous sessions. All of the above courses are also supported online.
- Login to Ocean Connect
- Click on the button that reads “Tutoring Appointments”; a new window for TracCloud will open
- Locate the box labeled “Schedule an Appointment”
- “Find first available immediately” will already be selected. Choose your course from the drop-down menu and click search
- You will see all available tutoring appointments for that course, with the soonest availabilities at the top. Pay attention to the type of session (1-on-1, group, etc.), if the availability is online only or flexible, and the center of the appointment
- Click on the appointment that you would like to schedule. NOTE: If you do not see the availability that you are looking for, click Report Unable to Find an Appointment and let us know!
- Confirm that the time looks correct, check the box if you would like your session to be online (if applicable), and let your tutor know what topics you would like to cover in the session
- Click confirm to save the appointment. A confirmation email will be sent to your OCC student email within a few minutes
- If your session is online, you will join it through TracCloud. You will receive a notification along the top of TracCloud that your session is ready to join. This will happen five minutes before your scheduled start time
- Click the icon on the right of the notification to join your session
- For in-person sessions, the tutoring center is located in the middle of the second floor of building #5 (instructional building)
*Please be sure that you bring all the necessary materials to your session and have specific questions that you would like to discuss during your session
For Asynchronous sessions, students submit their work and receive tutor feedback via email. Currently, both the STEM Center (MATH and CSIT only) and Writing Center offer asynchronous support.
- Access TracCloud through the Ocean Connect menu
- On the TracCloud main menu, you should see your upcoming appointments on the right side of the screen
- Click on the X on the appointment that you wish to cancel. Remember, you will have to cancel at least 12 hours before your scheduled session start time
- Enter your reason for cancellation and click confirm
- You should receive an email confirming the cancellation
- On the right side of the TracCloud home screen, you will see a list of your upcoming appointments. Click on one to bring open the appointment entry window
- Click on the tab that says “document”
- Attach the relevant file and click upload
- Your tutor will be able to access the file on their end from the appointment entry window
Note: Students should attach a file if they are looking to work on a specific paper, test review, worksheet, etc.
- The maximum file size is 20 mb
- Only one file can be uploaded to each appointment
- All file types are supported
Note: If multiple files need to be sent, students can email the appropriate service area
For assistance contact one of the following:
Welcome to the Tutoring Center at Ocean County College! The Tutoring Center provides free and friendly academic support in a wide variety of subjects to supplement your coursework. Professional and peer tutors and academic support leaders are well-trained and committed to helping you become independent, confident learners as you complete your degree and enter, or continue in, the workforce.
As representatives of the college, we believe in access and equity for all learners and work diligently to ensure that all students and staff feel safe using our services. To create a respectful and inclusive learning environment, the Tutoring Center upholds the OCC Code of Student Conduct (go.ocean.edu/code-of-student-conduct) and Campus Civility Statement. Students of the Ocean County College community are expected to uphold and abide by certain standards of conduct that form the basis of these practices. By utilizing Center services, you must adhere to these policies as well as the following:
- Tutoring Center staff members will treat students respectfully. In turn, students will treat the staff, and students who are working in the Tutoring Center respectfully.
- Only you (the student) and tutoring staff members, may schedule or cancel tutoring appointments.
- Students will
- only schedule appointments with the full intent of attending,
- arrive in a timely manner and will be as prepared as possible for the session. This includes any necessary items such as text books, assignment instructions, research, drafts, or notes.
- Be as specific as possible about what you (the student) are hoping to achieve in the tutoring session.
- Three (3) no-shows per semester may result in losing access to scheduling a session on one’s own. Should this happen, students must call 732-255-0400 ext. 2431 for scheduling assistance. Canvas resources and asynchronous support will still be readily available. Please visit our webpage for information on accessing our Canvas courses.
- Tutoring sessions are conducted with students and tutoring staff member(s) only. Friends, family members and/or other guests are not permitted to attend any platform (in-person or virtual).
- Anyone entering the Tutoring Center is to abide by all health safety guidelines and restrictions set forth by the College. Masks are currently optional in the tutoring center and on campus. This policy may change at any time as determined by state and local health guidelines and Ocean County College.
- There is zero tolerance for any form of inappropriate or threatening behavior/language. Students will be asked to leave immediately, security will be notified, and a CARE or conduct report will be filed.
- Tutoring and academic support sessions have a reasonable expectation for privacy. Any recording that takes place in a session, including in-person and/or via WebEx, will be used for academic purposes only. Any other use of a recording device is considered unauthorized, and will be asked to delete the recording and turn off the device. If necessary, the student will be asked to leave, security will be notified, and a CARE or conduct report will be filed.
If you have any questions about the Tutoring Center’s Policies and Procedures, you can contact us by calling 732-255-0400 ext. 2883.
If you would like to file a formal student complaint, please click here for more information to do so.
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to working with you!
Additional Student Resources
Phone: (732) 255-0400 ext. 2911
Location: Ground floor of the Library Bldg. #3, Room 010
Phone: (732)-255-0400 ext. 2205
Location: Ground floor of the Library Bldg. #3, Room 017
Students are currently limited to one tutoring session per course per day but are welcome to make appointments for multiple courses in the same day. Please schedule all tutoring sessions with the full intent of attending. Students who accumulate three no-shows in a semester will be restricted from scheduling their own sessions, and will need to contact the appropriate service area to schedule appointments. Appointments must be cancelled at least 12 hours in advance. This can be done in TracCloud, or by calling 732-255-0400 ext, 2431.
Any course with a writing component (English, History, Psychology, etc.)
ACCT-162, ASLN-162/165, PHYS-281
Connor Sampson, Assistant Director at 732-255-0400 ext. 2967. firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna McCloskey, Academic and Tutoring Support Services Librarian, email@example.com or visit the Library’s Remote Services page.