For the Fall 2022 semester, the Writing Center is available for in-person sessions, online synchronous sessions, and asynchronous support. The Writing Center is open to OCC and Kean Ocean students for help with papers, research, presentations, and reading for any course. Well-trained Writing Consultants are available to assist at any step of the process, from brainstorming to final editing, from MLA and APA paper formats to research steps.
- Login to Ocean Connect
- Click on the button that reads “Tutoring Appointments”; a new window will open with the TracCloud home page
- Locate the box labeled “Schedule an Appointment”
- “Find first available immediately” will already be selected. Choose your course from the drop-down menu and click search
- You will see all available tutoring appointments for that course, with the soonest availabilities at the top. Pay attention to the type of session (1-on-1, group, etc.), if the availability is online only or flexible, and the center of the appointment
- Click on the appointment that you would like to schedule. NOTE: If you do not see the availability that you are looking for, click Report Unable to Find an Appointment and let us know!
- Confirm that the time looks correct, check the box if you would like an online session (if applicable), and let your tutor know what topics you would like to cover in the session
- Click Confirm to save the appointment. A confirmation email will be sent to your OCC student email within a few minutes
- You will join your session through TracCloud. You will receive a notification along the top of TracCloud when your session is ready to join. This will appear starting five minutes before the scheduled start time
- Click on the icon on the right of the notification to join your session
Please be sure that you have the necessary information/materials ready for your session, and that you have specific questions for your tutor.
- Access TracCloud through the Ocean Connect menu
- On The TracCloud main menu, you should see your upcoming appointments on the right side
- Click on the X on the appointment that you are trying to cancel
- You should receive an email confirming your cancellation
NOTE: All sessions must be cancelled at least 12 hours in advance. If you are having trouble cancelling your session in TracCloud, please call 732-255-0400 ext. 2431
The Writing Center offers asynchronous tutoring! You can submit your assignment online, and a tutor will review it and send your submission back within 48 hours to 72 business hours.
- Complete our Asynchronous Tutoring Writing Submission Form
- You’ll be asked to provide the following:
- Student ID number
- Instructor’s name
- Course number (ex. ENGL-151)
- A detailed description of your writing assignment
- 2 – 3 questions you have about the assignment
- Upload your work as a doc. or docx. file. We are unable to access PDF and Google Drive files
- Detailed instructions on scheduling tutoring appointments (videos and screenshots)
- Recordings of past workshops/Helpful videos
- Links to beneficial outside resources
- Resources created by our own tutors at OCC
- Announcements about workshops hosted by the Writing Center
All students are automatically enrolled in the Writing Center Canvas course. You should see this course within Canvas with all of your other courses!
The Writing Center currently offers in-person, online synchronous, and online asynchronous support. The Writing Center has tutors available throughout the semester to assist with English courses as well as any courses with a writing component (history, psychology, etc.). Students are currently limited to one tutoring session per day per course but are welcome to schedule sessions for multiple classes on the same day.
In-person sessions are by appointment only, and are scheduled using TracCloud. Synchronous sessions are conducted through Webex. The sessions are 1-on-1 and approximately 45 minutes long. Please click on the toggle above for instructions.
For asynchronous tutoring, students fill out the asynchronous submission form and wait for a tutor to get back to them with written and/or video feedback. Click the toggle above for more info.
Please schedule all tutoring sessions with the full intent of attending. Students that accumulate three no-shows in a semester will be restricted from scheduling their own sessions, and will need to contact the appropriate service area to schedule appointments. Appointments must be cancelled at least 12 hours in advance. This can be done in TracCloud, or by calling 732-255-0400 ext, 2431.
If you are having difficulties setting up an appointment, please call 732-255-0400 ext. 2431.
For general questions regarding tutoring, please call 732-255-0400 ext. 2083
The Writing Center Supports:
- Ocean Courses
- Kean Courses
- Scholarship Essays
- Creative Writing
- Writing Skills
- MLA and APA
- Chicago Style
- … and more!