Information For Students
Closure of the main campus and the SEC due to inclement weather or other emergency will be announced according to the following schedule:
- By 6:00 a.m. to announce a closing for the day or a delayed opening
- By 10:00 a.m. for afternoon classes and activities
- By 2:00 p.m. for evening classes and activities
In the event that a DELAYED OPENING occurs in the middle of a class period, students and faculty are advised that if your class has one hour or longer of instruction/lab/studio time remaining – your class WILL meet. For example, your class meets from 11:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. There is a 12:00 noon delayed opening. Your class WILL meet for the remainder of the class period from 12:00 to 1:45 p.m.
However, if your class has less than one hour of instruction/lab/studio time remaining – your class will NOT meet. For example, your class meets from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. There is a 10:00 a.m. delayed opening. Your class will NOT meet.
In the event that an EARLY DISMISSAL occurs in the middle of a class period, students and faculty are advised that if your class has one hour or longer of instruction/lab/studio time before the early dismissal – your class WILL meet. For example, your class meets from 2:00 to 3:15 p.m. There is a 3:00 p.m. early dismissal. Your class WILL meet from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.
However, if your class has less than one hour of instruction/lab/studio time before the early dismissal – your class will NOT meet. For example, your class meets from 12:30 to 1:45 p.m. There is a 1:00 p.m. early dismissal. Your class will NOT meet.
If the College closes, one of the following will occur:
- The class will move to remote instruction and students will be expected to attend the class via WebEx during the normal class meeting time.
- The Instructor will provide instruction and assignments via Canvas. Students will be expected to log in to the course via Canvas to view the assignments.
Your instructors will let you know which option applies to your course.
If the College closes, the Southern Education Center will close, unless an emergency requires unique closing decisions at either the Toms River or Manahawkin location.
If the College is closed, OCC’s Off-Campus classes will be held remotely.
If the College is open but an off-campus site is closed, Off-Campus classes at that site will be cancelled.
Emergency closing information will be available via:
- Viking Alert: Register or update your Viking Alert account at ocean.sendwordnow.com to receive text alerts, email or voicemail messages.
- The college home page: www.ocean.edu.
- A recorded message on the main college phone line: 732.255.0400.
- Radio & TV stations. See below.
In addition to these outlets, local media are expected to announce college closings – but students are urged to check the website or phone message to get the most accurate and up-to-date information.
If the College is open, there will be no announcement.
The following radio and TV stations will also announce college closings:
- 92.7 WOBM-FM
- 94.3 The Point
- 95.9 The Rat
- 96.9 Lite Rock
- 97.3 ESPN
- 98.3 Magic
- 98.5 B98.5
- 100.1 WJRZ
- 101.5 NJ 101.5
- 105.5 WDHA
- 105.7 The Hawk
- 106.3/106.5 Thunder
- 107.1 Fun
- 107.3 Cat Country
- 1160/1310 WOBM-AM
- 1250 Classic Oldies-AM
- 1450 AM The Voice
- Ocean TV 20 – Comcast of Toms River & Comcast of Long Beach Island, Channel 20 Verizon FiOS of Northern Ocean County, Channel 24 (not available in all areas of Ocean County)
- News 12 – Access is free for subscribers. (Registration Required)
- Comcast Channel 62
- Optimum (Check local listings)
- Service Electric (Check local listings)
- Time Warner (Check local listings)