skip to main content
Search Button

Work Study Program

Student Employment

Slightly more than 100 Ocean County College students work on-campus or perform community service work off-campus during the academic year. On campus they work in academic departments, laboratories, administrative offices, and the library. Many students perform clerical work. A student with specialized skills or training may find a job that uses that skill, for example, a lifeguard. Off campus employment at community service jobs, including reading and math tutoring are available.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study program (FWS) is a federally funded financial aid program. The purpose of the program is to place financially eligible students on campus in part-time employment so that students can earn funds while attending college. To be considered for FWS funds a student must file a FAFSA form, and must be financially eligible according to federal and college policies. Students must also fill out a Federal Work Study Application and submit it for consideration. Students must file a FAFSA each year and must continue to be financially eligible to participate. Students will be notified of potential job placement via their college email account.

Eligible students may also use their award to work off-campus for community service agencies tutoring reading and math at elementary schools in the area, as well as for non-profit agencies.

Whether working on or off campus the FWS program provides the opportunity for students to interact with future employers, obtain references, meet college staff and administration, other students, have fun, and most importantly make a difference!

  • A student must work to earn work study funds. A work study award is not a guarantee of employment or earnings totaling the work study award. A student may only earn up to the amount of the work study award.
  • Student employees are paid the current state minimum wage per hour for on-campus jobs and off-campus jobs (currently $16.00 as of 2023-2024).
  • A work study award may be made for Fall and/or Spring term(s).
  • The number of hours of work per week varies from job to job; however, the maximum hours a student may work is 20 hours per week within a term. The minimum is 10 hours.
  • A student’s work schedule and the number of hours worked may vary from term to term because of their course load, class schedule, and extracurricular activities. The student must make work schedule arrangements with their supervisor each term.
  • If a student worked on-campus 15 hours per week for both terms (15 weeks/term), they would earn about $ 7,200. (That is, $16/hr. x 15 hr./wk. x 15 weeks x 2 terms = $7,200)

The Financial Aid Office coordinates the College Work Study Program. Students are notified of their eligibility to participate in the work study program through their college email accounts; included in this email is a link to the Federal Work Study Application Form (you can also find the form link below while the FWS hiring period remains open). Notification of job placement begins in early July via students college email accounts.

Application form:

  • Work Study Application
    (PLEASE NOTE: The application is currently closed and will open again July 1st for Fall 2024)

Student employees are paid every two weeks based on the number of hours reported on their time sheets. A paycheck is mailed to the student’s permanent mailing address or direct deposited. Student earnings are not credited directly to a student’s account.

First-time workers complete a W-4 IRS tax withholding form and a U.S. Department of Justice Form I-9. To complete the tax form the student must provide their social security number and determine the number of allowances for withholding tax they want to claim. Under the Immigration Reform Act the College is required to have every employee complete a Form I-9. To comply with this law a first-time employee must furnish one of the items listed in List A, or one of the items in List B plus one from List C. Students must show the Work Study Coordinator the documents at the time they sign up for payroll. The documents must be originals, and if a birth certificate is used, it must be certified.

Direct Deposit

  1. Hover over the “My Ocean” tab at the top of the OCC website
  2. Select “Ocean Connect” from the drop down menu
  3. Select “Self Service for Faculty and Staff” from the left hand menu
  4. Select “Banking Information” from the main screen
  5. Under “Active Accounts” select the “+Add an Account” button
  6. Follow the directions on the screen to add your bank account information
Text Link