Global Education Experiences
Ocean County College offers exciting Study Abroad opportunities to promote cross cultural understanding and awareness of global perspectives. All OCC study abroad seminars are led by OCC faculty members and are open to students and the community. Eligible OCC students may apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship through the OCC Foundation (see information below).
Our superb international travel experiences include:
Travel to Switzerland with OCC!
Dates: July 11 – July 19 2020
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Scholarship Application: Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Thursday, January 30, 2020 12:30 – 1:30 pm INST*107
Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:30 – 1:30 pm INST*107
Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:30 – 1:30 pm INST*107
This Study Abroad in Switzerland Travel Seminar (HRTM240 and/or HUMN252) will simultaneously immerse students in Switzerland’s rich cultural history and flourishing hospitality industry. Students will have the opportunity to tour the Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL), recently ranked the world’s best hospitality and leisure management school. In addition to networking opportunities, students will also explore several landmark hotels throughout the country and get a behind-the-scenes look at the hotel, casino, and restaurant operations with an emphasis on customer service and international hospitality management.
As we journey throughout seven cities across Switzerland, the intersections between the humanities and tourism industry will also be explored. For the past two centuries, Switzerland has served as a refuge for artists and authors alike and has inspired the likes of Mary Shelley, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Lord Byron, Germane de Staël, and Max Frisch among many others. One of the highlights of the trip for humanities students will feature a visit to the Villa Diodati, adjacent to the beautiful Lake Geneva, where Shelley penned Frankenstein.
- Tour of Lausanne International Hospitality School (EHL)
- Behind-The-Scenes Tours of Hotel Schweizerhof, Novotel, Montana Hotel, & Movenpick Hotel & Casino
- Chocolate Making/Tasting and Cheese Making/Tasting Tours
- Foodie Tour of Berne
- Swiss National Museum: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural history of Switzerland from its origins to the present day and enjoy a wide array of exhibitions focusing on the art, architecture, and history of this beautiful country.
- Dada Art Museum & Bern Museum of Fine Arts: Discover Switzerland’s vibrant and diverse art scene at the Dada Art museum in Zurich, the birthplace of the Dada art movement, Trace over 800 years of art history at the Museum of Fine Arts in Bern, the capital of Switzerland.
Cost of Trip Plus one (3) Credit Course:
Ocean County Residents $4,578 per person + applicable tuition and fees estimated at $457.50 – (Ocean County residents must enclose proof of residency; see page 1 of application)
Out-of-County Residents $4,578 per person + applicable tuition and fees estimated at $511.50
Out of State Residents $4,578 per person + applicable tuition and fees estimated at $769.50
Additional course (optional) add $457.50
Single Room Supplement (optional) $699
Class Option: HRTM240: Travel Seminar: International Tourism Management and/or HUMN252: Travel Seminar: Studies in the Humanities for three or six college credits
• Round-trip airfare
• Full-time tour manager
• Meals as noted on the itinerary (all breakfasts, all dinners, 1 lunch)
• All accommodations (2 per room)
• Transport to and from OCC
• Insurance, taxes, OCC instruction, and tuition/fees
• Scheduled tours and admissions as noted on the itinerary
Not Included: Personal expenses; activities, meals, tips, and services not specifically listed in travel brochure/contract
Please note: This is an active travel seminar that includes a good deal of walking, so please be mindful of this upon registering. Participants must have the capability to adjust to time zone changes and must adhere to and comply with structured time schedules, including early morning departures and scheduled lecture and mealtimes. In addition, participants are expected to interact effectively and appropriately with one another during travel and activities, and in rooming situations. If you have concerns about the demands of this program, please consult with either Professor Bips or Professor Stout and your physician before registering for the trip.
Required Registration Materials:
• A fully completed 3-page Application form
• Full payment
• Proof of Ocean County residency (if an Ocean County resident)
• A fully completed Scholarship Application (if applying for scholarship)
Payment is refundable only if OCC cancels the seminar.
• Participants must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school.
• Community members are welcome to participate on an audit-credit basis.
• Students will be enrolled for 3 to 6 college credits during the 2020 Summer Second Five Week Semester.
• Scholarships available for full-time OCC students—an application is required.
Funded in part by the Ocean County College Foundation
For information or an application contact:
Professor Sean Bips
Office: GATE 308
Phone: xt. 2821
Professor Kristyn Stout
Office: GRUN B104
Phone: xt. 2217
Application drop off:
Phone: 732.255.0400 Ext. 2221
- Ireland – Summer 2021
- England – Summer 2021
- Scotland – Summer 2021
- Italy – Winter 2021
Community Colleges for International Development (CCID)
Ocean County College is a proud member of Community Colleges for International Development. CCID provides an international network for community colleges to further their internationalization initiatives and to enhance the development of a globally competent workforce for the communities they serve.
CCID also offers study abroad opportunities through its Troika program. These short-term, faculty-led travel opportunities take students around the globe to study global business, culture, science, economics, healthcare and more. Students earn college credits while experiencing a trip of a lifetime!
Please visit the CCID website for more information.
Scholarships For Study Abroad
OCC Foundation Scholarships: The OCC Foundation frequently offers partial scholarships for full-time OCC students to participate in OCC-sponsored travel seminars and study abroad experiences. Students should contact the professor leading the travel seminar for information on OCC Foundation scholarships available for that particular study abroad trip.
Outside Programs & Scholarships: The US State Department lists study abroad programs and scholarship opportunities on their website.