Global Education Experiences
Ocean County College offers exciting Study Abroad opportunities to promote cross cultural understanding and awareness of global perspectives. All OCC study abroad seminars are led by OCC faculty members and are open to students and the community. Eligible OCC students may apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship through the OCC Foundation (see information below).
Our superb international travel experiences include:
Germany – Spring 2019
- Costa Rica – Spring 2020
- Morocco – Summer 2019
Travel to the beautiful Emerald Island of Ireland with OCC!
Dates: August 2 – 10, 2019
Scholarship Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 ** Extended to Tuesday, February 19, 2019**
Application Deadline: Friday, February 22, 2019
Orientation Meeting: Gateway Building #101 Room 427
Thursday, May 2, 2019 from 4:30 – 6:00 pm.
This Study Abroad in Ireland (including both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) Travel Seminar (HIST 255 and SCIE 129) provides an unforgettable opportunity to experience the history, culture and people of Ireland while visiting its’ two capital cities.
- This 9-Day trip includes walking tours, overnight stays, Capital cities in the Dublin and Belfast including entrance into Trinity College and the Book of Kells, St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Dublin Castle.
- We will have a guided tour of Kilmainham Gaol as well as a trip to see the beauty and grandeur of Powerscourt Estate, including the house, garden and waterfalls.
- Traveling to ancient historical sites of Newgrange/Knowth and Hill of Tara and hearing about pagan times, druids, high chiefs and mystical spirits will be contrasted with modern history of Belfast an Derry as depicted in the internationally acclaimed mural art work which we will visit while in Northern Ireland.
- In addition to the historical and cultural highlights of Ireland, the trip includes the opportunity to experience firsthand the warmth, hospitality and love of music during our Pub dinners an famous full Irish breakfasts.
- Students will earn three credits and participate in a course (HIST 255: History and Culture of Ireland).
- Members of the community are welcome to participate on an audit basis.
Cost of Trip Plus One (3) Credit Course:
Ocean County Resident – $3,989.50
Out-of-County – $4,043.50
Out-of-State – $4,307.50
Additional course (optional) add $451.50
Single Supplement (optional) $799.00
Class Option: HIST 255: History & Culture of Ireland or SCIE 129: Global Science for three college credits
Package Includes: Round-trip airfare, Full time Tour Manager, transport to and from airport from Ocean County College, all hotels (double occupancy; add $799 for single room), meals as noted on the itinerary, scheduled tours and admissions as noted on the itinerary, professional guides, trip insurance and Ocean County College fees and tuition.
Not included: Beverages, airline baggage fees, personal expenses, any meals and activities not listed on the itinerary, and anything else not specifically listed above.
Please Note: This is an active travel seminar that includes walking and visiting some ancient sites. Participants much have the capability to adjust to time zone changes. Must interact effectively and appropriately with group members in rooming, travel and practicing daily personal hygiene. Must adhere and comply with structured time schedules including early morning departures and scheduled meal times. If you have concerns about the demands of the program, please consult with Dr. Reustle or Prof. Ramdeen and your physician before registering for the trip.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school.
- Community members are welcome to participate on an audit-credit basis.
- Students will be enrolled for 3 or 6 college credits during the 2019 Summer Post Session. Scholarships available for full-time OCC students – an application is required.
For information or an application contact:
Dr. Maureen Reustle
Phone: 732.255.0400 Ext. 2279
Application drop off:
Phone: 732.255.0400 Ext. 2221
Community Colleges for International Development (CCID)
Ocean County College is a proud member of Community Colleges for International Development. CCID provides an international network for community colleges to further their internationalization initiatives and to enhance the development of a globally competent workforce for the communities they serve.
CCID also offers study abroad opportunities through its Troika program. These short-term, faculty-led travel opportunities take students around the globe to study global business, culture, science, economics, healthcare and more. Students earn college credits while experiencing a trip of a lifetime!
For more information about CCID, please visit www.ccidinc.org
Scholarships For Study Abroad
OCC Foundation Scholarships: The OCC Foundation frequently offers partial scholarships for full-time OCC students to participate in OCC-sponsored travel seminars and study abroad experiences. Students should contact the professor leading the travel seminar for information on OCC Foundation scholarships available for that particular study abroad trip.
Outside Programs & Scholarships: The US State Department lists study abroad programs and scholarship opportunities at http://exchanges.state.gov/us/search/solr/scholarships.