How Parents Can Help Their Children Succeed In College
- Encourage your child to use the resources on campus. Their student fees pay for these services and they are entitled to them.
- Let your child know that they are responsible for understanding and following the policies and procedures written in the catalog, OCC website and the Student Handbook. Encourage your student to seek advising if they are unclear or need additional help.
- This may be the first time that your child will have to balance work, school, and the social aspects of their lives. As parents, you can help them develop better time management skills.
- Help your child to understand that more independent work is expected of them. The rule of thumb is that for every hour in the classroom, expect two to three hours of homework.
- Encourage your child to connect with an advisor or faculty member on campus who may serve as a mentor.
- Approximately 85% of OCC graduates transfer to four-year colleges. Encourage your child to start exploring his or her transfer options early. Visit our Transfer Services page.
- OCC encourages all students to apply for financial aid. It is the only way to explore if funding is available to your family.
- According to FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), OCC cannot share information about a student’s progress with anyone other than the student without written consent from the student. Therefore, as a parent, communication is an important aspect of your relationship with your child.
Paying for College
Tuition and fees are established by the college’s Board of Trustees and are subject to change at any time.
Applying for College
Use our Free Online Application to apply to Ocean County College. Create your account and get started on your application today.
Stop by our office or schedule a virtual advising appointment.
News & Events
Get the latest news and learn about our exciting campus events.
you may also be interested in:
CLASSES AND SCHEDULES
CLASSES AND SCHEDULES
Design class schedules based on your individual needs and learning styles.
The Student Life Office offers over 60 active clubs and organizations for students to participate in.
Check out what the OCC community has to offer! From our library to our Planetarium