The mission of Student Support Services at Ocean County College is to assist and encourage first-generation college students, income-eligible college students, and/or college students with disabilities through the completion of a credential. We operate in a holistic, inclusive, and collaborative environment while delivering services that will immerse students in a challenging and engaging student experience. SSS emboldens students to be self-driven; to discover their own barriers, seek out solutions, and develop a positive mindset in their journey toward success.
How to Apply
Submit a Completed Prescreen Application!
Applications are available via this website, email, or in person. Spots are limited!
Do you meet any of these eligibility requirements?
- You are a first generation student*
- You meet federal income guidelines, found on the U.S. Department of Education website
- You are a student with a disability
- You have an academic need (placed into developmental math and/or English, GPA less than 2.5, struggling to pass courses, recommended to SSS by a faculty or staff members, high rate of F & W grades)
- “You are a citizen or national of the United States or meet the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance”
* First Generation: parents/guardians did not complete a bachelor’s degree or whose primary custodial parent/guardian did not complete a bachelor’s degree.
Free Program Advantages:
- One-On-One Professional Tutoring
- Academic Planning & Advising—for transfer to a 4-year institution and/or career
- Academic Coaching—keeping you motivated to reach your goals
- Financial Literacy Education—to help you make smart, financial decisions
- Social Engagement & Leadership Development—attend trips and conferences to discover your purpose and build your network
All SSS Scholars should have a preliminary meeting with the SSS Academic Coach (Barbara McCormack) to take/review LASSI and to determine their need for academic coaching/set appointments for the semester.
All SSS Students must meet with their SSS Academic Advisor (Briana Cerbone) before registering for classes. Advising for the 2023FA semester is anticipated to begin mid-April 2023.
SSS Priority Registration for 2023FA is anticipated to begin mid-April.
TRiO Student Support Services
Calendar of Events & Activities
Unless otherwise noted, Ocean County College Student Support Services (SSS) events and activities are only open to SSS participants.
All Activities noted with (*) fulfill a requirement of the Student Support Services program.
(*All SSS Students must attend one Financial Literacy event prior to graduation)
Game of Life – Hosted by OCC Enrollment Staff
- Tuesday, March 7, 2023 – 1:00pm to 2:00pm – Small Café in Larson Student Center (Bldg. 8)
*By invitation only* – Learn how you may be eligible and can apply for $800 in tuition aid
- Wednesday, February 22, at 3:00-4:00pm
- Thursday, February 23, at 2:00-3:00pm
- Wednesday, March 1, at 10:00-11:00am
Program staff can be reached by:
Direct Phone: 732-255-0539
*All SSS Students must attend one Get Connected Event prior to graduation. All events are held in the SSS Community Room
- Monday, April 3, – 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
- Thursday, April 27, – 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Spring Paint Party
Tuesday, March 14 – (two sessions available)
- 10:00 am -11:30 am or
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Offered Monthly – With SSS Staff
- Monday, February 27, at 1:00pm to 3:00pm
- Thursday, March 30, at 9:30am to 11:30am
- Friday, April 21, at 10:00am to 12:00pm
OPEN Workshop (with reps from the Financial Aid Office) – You MUST register to attend-Schedule here!
- Wednesdays – March 1 & March 15
- Wednesdays – April 5 & April 19
- Wednesdays – May 3 & May 17
Getting the Job! Do what you love & Love what you do!
Learn who you are and discover careers you can have based on your interests and passion
Join us: Tuesday, February 28 – 1:00pm-2:00pm – SSS Workshop Room Bldg. #7, (R127)
Getting the Job! Inside scoop on how to get the job from a recruiting & HR Perspective
Join us: Wednesday, March 29 – 1:00pm-2:00pm – SSS Workshop Room Bldg. #7 (R127)
Getting the Job! Resume Writing
Join us: Tuesday, April 18 – 1:00pm-2:00pm – SSS Workshop Room Bldg. #7 (R127)
Getting the Job! Dress for Success/Interview Skills
Join us: Tuesday, May 2 – 1:00pm-2:00pm – SSS Workshop Room Bldg. #7 (R127)
Join us for a visit to the following campuses.
- Kean-Ocean – Friday, March 3 at 11:00am
- GCU – Friday, April 14 at 10:00 am
Contact the SSS staff for more information at: 732-255-0539
TED Talk Thursdays: SSS Community Room, Bldg. #7 (R102)
Thursdays 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- February 23 – “Why having fun is the secret to a healthier life”
- March 2 – “How to break down barriers and not accept limits”
- March 9 – “You don’t actually know what your future self wants”
- March 16 – “Math is the hidden secret to understanding the world”
- March 30 – “This is what it’s really like to live with ADHD”
- April 6 – “Out fight for disability rights – and why we’re not done yet”
- April 20 – “What it takes to be racially literate”
- April 27 – “Why doesn’t success bring happiness?”
- May 4 – “How to make stress your friend”
- May 11 – “How to cope with anxiety”
Join us every Monday!
All movie showings will be held in the Community Room, from 9:00am to 4:00pm
- February 27 – Presidential
- March 6 – Sci-Fi
- March 13 – Luck of the Irish
- March 27 – Baseball
- April 3 – Indiana Jones
- April 10 – Epic Movies
- April 17 – Disney & Pixar
- April 24 – Marvel Monday
- May 1 – Star Wars
- May 8 -Summer Blockbusters
Be sure to check back and join us on these upcoming exciting trips!
Medieval Times – Tentative – Date & Time TBD
Student Life Trips
- United Nations & Broadway show (Tentative) – Date & Time TBD
Watch texts for more trip info!
Happy Birthday! Join us monthly in the Community Room from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- Thursday, March 9 – March
- Thursday, April 13 – April
- Thursday, May 11 – May & Summer
Be sure to check back soon for updates on these exciting upcoming summer trips and events!
Here is a preview of what’s to come this summer!
- Tree to Tree Adventure/Cape May Zoo
- Student Life Trips
- Math/English Boot Camps (Tools for Success)
- More to come!
Student Support Services Club
The Student Support Service Club, open to all OCC students, is tailored specifically for participants in the SSS Program. The purpose of the club is to emphasize the attainment of leadership skills, attain a sense of community and connectedness, as well as provide opportunities for community involvement and outreach.
For more information:
The Student Support Services office is located in:
W. Kable Russell Building (#7) Room 113
Program staff can be reached by
Direct Phone: 732-255-0539
SSS Office Staff
Student Support Services Director
732-255-0400 ext. 2138
Russell Bldg. (#7) Room 112
Student Support Services Coordinator
Russell Bldg. (#7) Room 111
Student Support Services Specialist
732-255-0400 x 2352
Russell Bldg. (#7) Room 115
Student Support Services Academic Coach
Russell Bldg. (#7) Room 116