skip to main content
Search Button

International Students

Ocean County College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students.

In addition to the general requirements for admission,  international students seeking admission to Ocean County College are required to submit additional documentation to secure an I-20: ‘Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Status’ through Ocean County College to apply for an F-1 Visa to study in the U.S. The Visa Seeking Student Packet & Instructions are available online for your use during this process.

International Student Instructions

  1. Do not make travel arrangements or register for classes until your F1 visa has been approved.
  2. When receiving an F-1 visa, it is expected that your primary purpose for attending Ocean County College is to study. International Students are only eligible for on-campus employment, these positions are limited and reserved for students eligible for financial aid.
  3.  Ocean County College is a non-residential institution, we do not offer housing to our students and all students must reside in Ocean County.
  4. Wait-times for change of visa status are no longer being published by the government and students on a B1 or B2 visa cannot attend classes until change of visa status is approved.
  5.  We can only offer I-20s to full-time, degree seeking students. We cannot offer I-20s to prospective students looking to take English Language Learning courses.
  6. Nursing is not a degree currently offered to International Students at this time.

We recommend you begin the application process at least 6 months before the start of the semester.  All students must adhere to the deadlines posted.

All documents must be submitted by the following dates:

Fall Semester
September start
New student deadline
June 1st
Transfer student deadline August 15th
Spring Semester
January Start
New Student deadline
October 1st
Transfer student deadline January 3rd

Two new features have been added to the international online payment process at Ocean County College that will help many students make payments toward their tuition and fees. These changes will improve the process and allow students to choose the method that works best for them.

  • For bank transfers, students may now use Convera (instead of direct bank wire transfers).
  • To pay by international credit or debit card or bank transfers, use Pay My Tuition.

To make payments:

Visit, click on Ocean Connect, and Student Finance, and then select Making a Payment.

You will be redirected to the Nelnet website, where you can select either of these new options as your payment type. International payments are processed by Convera GlobalPay and Pay My Tuition for Students in association with Nelnet.

Students have 72 hours to complete their transaction to secure the conversion rate given at the time. The payment information will be in their local currency, and they will get price and payment options upfront with a price comparison tool. Both vendors can provide tracking information for students to see the payment process from start to finish.

Students who select to pay via Convera or Pay My Tuition will receive a letter of authorization and will need to follow up with their bank — within 72 hours — to initiate the wire transfer.

International Student Applicants

  1. Apply to Ocean County College (OCC)
  2. Submit required documents to Registration & Records Department (See: Admissions Requirements)
    • If transferring: Obtain the transfer form via email to transfer your  SEVIS record from your current School
  3. The institution creates a ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ (I-20) and provides it to student
  4. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
  5. Then apply to one of the following:
    • The local U.S. consulate or embassy for a visa
      • See the DOSWeb site for more information
    • If you are in the United States in another non-immigrant status, contact USCIS for a change of status to F-1 or M-1
      • File I-539 through USCIS
    • If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country (Canada, Bermuda, etc.), contact the U.S. POE directly

The documents outlined below must be submitted prior to issuance of the “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” form, the I20.

*Requirements are subject to change. All documents are subject to approval.

**Final review of documents will be done by the international Designated School Official (DSO) by appointment. When the Admissions Office has received all the completed forms, the review will begin. If approved, the institution will mail the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) or make available for pick up on campus – indicating admission as a full-time degree student.

  • Submission of a completed Application for Admissions
  • Complete the ‘LET US GET TO KNOW YOU’ page
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport
  • Proof of International Address (from the student’s native country)
  • Proof of Intended Local Address
  • Proof of Cost of Attendance
  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • International Student Contract
  • Additional Requirements may be required

Please see our International Student Instructions information packet for details on all requirements

The same steps apply to students who are traveling to the US, already in the country or transferring in from other schools

  1. Check in with International Designated School Official (DSO) on campus upon arrival
  2. Take OCC’s Accuplacer to be placed into the appropriate math & English courses (unless you have qualifying exemption scores or previously passed a college level math or English course)
  3. Meet with an advisor to review their degree program and register for courses

Ocean County College abides by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regulations regarding the reporting of international students. While attending Ocean County College, you are responsible for maintaining your immigration status.

To maintain your status you must:

  • Register for, attend, and maintain enrollment in a full course of study (at least 12 Credits)
  • Consult with your DSO before dropping below a full course of study for any reason
  • Report name or address changes to DSO within 10 days of the change
  • Notify DSO prior to traveling outside the United States
  • Report any change in sources of financial support to DSO
  • Seek the approval of the DSO before engaging in employment* or practical training
    *Please note it is expected that your primary purpose for traveling to the US is to study. International students are only eligible to work on campus and on campus positions are limited and reserved for students eligible for financial aid
  • Report any changes in program of study to DSO
  • Report any change in academic status to DSO
  • Notify DSO upon applying for change of nonimmigrant status
  • Notify DSO upon approval of an adjustment of status to an immigrant
  • Consult with DSO to extend program far in advance of I-20 expiration
  • Notify DSO if intending to transfer
  • Keep your passport valid
  • Notify DSO about changes in dependent status
  • You want to enroll in an online course or part-time at another institution
students on computers outside
Mail Documents to:

Ocean County College
Registration & Records-Bldg. 9
1 College Drive
PO Box 2001
Toms River, NJ 08754-2001

F1 Visa Info

Visit the US Department of Homeland Security Website, Study In the States. for general information about studying in the United States under a F1 visa.

Text Link