This curriculum prepares students for the position of paralegal/legal assistant.
Students will study law and acquire practical legal skills that are necessary for entry-level employment in a law office. Persons currently working in a law office or in a related environment can upgrade their skills and increase their general and specific knowledge of law. All of the courses in this certificate curriculum can apply to the Associate in Applied Science degree in Business – Paralegal Studies Option.
- BUSN 251 Business Law I (3 Credits)
- BUSN 252 Business Law II (3 Credits)
- CSIT 123 Integrated Office Software (3 Credits)
- ENGL 151 English I (3 Credits)
- ENGL 152 English II (3 Credits)
- LAAW 101 Introduction to Law and Legal Assisting (3 Credits)
- LAAW 104 Introduction to Litigation (3 Credits)
- LAAW 201 Legal Research and Writing for Paralegals (3 Credits)
- LAAW 203 Law Office Management (3 Credits)
Paralegal Electives (6 Credits):
- ACCT 161 Principles of Accounting I (3 Credits)
- BUSN 210 Business Communications (3 Credits)
- BUSN 267 Real Estate Law (3 Credits)
- BUSN 271 Principles of Management (3 Credits)
- CRIM 254 Constitutional Law and Rules of Evidence (3 Credits)
- CRIM 255 Criminal Law and Procedures (3 Credits)
- INTR 290 Internship (3 Credits)
- LAAW 105 Health Care and Elder Law (3 Credits)
- LAAW 106 Mediation and Conflict Resolution (3 Credits)
- LAAW 204 Estate Administration (3 Credits)
- LAAW 206 New Jersey Family Law (3 Credits)
- POLI 161 American Federal Government (3 Credits)
- PSYC 172 General Psychology (3 Credits)
For more information
CAREERS IN PARALEGAL STUDIES
Have you already applied for this degree?
Current students are encouraged to use course maps, along with their Student Planning Degree Audit (My Progress Screen), to help make educated, accurate choices when selecting courses.
honors by contract
A wide range of courses are available for students to participate in OCC’s “Honors by Contract” Program!