What is Placement Testing?
The College Placement Test assesses skills in Reading Comprehension, Writing and Algebra. For more detailed information, click here for the OCC Testing Center site.
Can I Challenge the Test?
- YES! If you feel your scores do not reflect your ability, call 732-255-0401 or stop by the Testing Center to schedule a Challenge Test. Walk-ins are welcome!
Placement Test Information
The College tests incoming students in reading, writing and mathematics skills. The results of these tests have no effect on admission to Ocean County College; their purpose is to help the college place students in courses appropriate to their backgrounds and needs.
After students are accepted by the college, they can schedule an appointment to take the College Placement Test at go.ocean.edu/test. The test is also offered on a walk-in basis; no appointment necessary when computers are available. The test should be taken as soon as possible, since a delay in testing will result in a delay in the scheduling of courses. Also, early testing will enable students to make up any skill deficiencies during the summer session.
For anyone who may need special accommodations, please visit Disability Service's How to Access Services before scheduling an appointment to take the Accuplacer.
You can be exempt from taking the placement test if you have have any of the scores listed here: College Placement Test Exemptions. If you have any of these scores, please request an official copy be sent to the Office of Records and Registration for evaluation. You can submit a copy of these scores to be used until official scores are available.
Receive transfer credit for college level Math and/or English based upon submission and evaluation of transcripts by the Registrar’s office. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the Registrar from your previous school.
*NJ STARS students may only submit SAT scores to prove exemption from Placement Testing.HSPA, PSAT, and ACT scores do not qualify for NJ STARS exemptions.
Walk-ins for Challenge Testing are welcome; see Testing Center hours.
Brush up sites for the College Placement Test may be accessed on the internet by typing “Accuplacer + Practice” from any browser search field. A number of sites will be listed, some for English and some for Math. Remember, for Math you’ll need to practice your Elementary Algebra skills. Any of the free sites provide valuable practice opportunities; there is no need to use any site for which you need to pay a fee. Some of the better sites are as follows:
- EdReady for Placement
As a general rule, students must complete required developmental courses immediately to ensure success in other courses. The college will not award a diploma to any student who has not demonstrated competency in the basic skills. Students are expected to enroll in all required developmental courses in their first semester, but they must enroll in the required courses by their second semester.
Students identified as needing remediation in English or mathematics will be restricted to a limited course load. The limited course load will consist of the needed developmental courses and other courses selected from approved limited load course list.
Other Testing Services
By appointment only.
Visit http://clep.collegeboard.org/started and log into and follow the steps to register for a CLEP exam. After you register with CLEP and get your ticket (Step 3), follow Step 4 and contact the Testing Center at least 48 hours in advance of your desired test date to schedule your test. Call 732-255-0401 to schedule your CLEP test appointment. All CLEP test dates are subject to computer availability. On the day of your scheduled test, please bring your CLEP registration ticket and your primary government issued ID. The $43.50 OCC testing fee will be paid online when you make your testing appointment.
By appointment only.
Call 732.255.0401 to schedule an appointment.
- TEAS Guidelines (PDF)
- Please see the CPE catalog for information regarding the TEAS Prep/Remediation course.
- Please note: It is recommended that students complete their general education courses prior to taking the TEAS in order to help ensure successful results.
- Students who require extra testing time or any other testing accommodation in connection with documented 504 Plans at OCC must contact Jamie Prioli, Adaptive Services Specialist--ext. 2465, at least 5 days prior to their desired test date.
Monday 8AM - 4PM
Tuesday 8AM - 5PM
Wednesday 8AM - 8PM
Thursday 8AM - 5PM
Friday 8AM - 4PM
Saturday 9AM - 1PM
Not available at this time. Please contact Testing Center for information.
High School Equivalency Testing General Information:
- Appointments can now be made online! Click here to make an appointment.
- Click here for Student Instructions if you will be taking make-up or accommodation tests at the Testing Center.
- Appointments required in advance for any tests requiring the use of a computer including but not limited to CLEP, DSST/Dantes, TEAS, Technology Test-Out, testing for other institutions and accommodation testing. Walk-ins welcome for paper/pencil OCC/Kean class tests, including those with accommodations for extra time.
- Please note: All students are required to show a valid photo ID in order to test. No tests will be administered within 1 hour of our scheduled closing time.