The A.S. in Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism Management (HRTM) is designed to prepare students to begin a career in the creative, people-oriented Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism industries, or to continue with their education toward a Bachelor’s degree. The program provides a business planning and management foundation that examines industry trends, consumer behavior, guest services and other factors that influence Hospitality Recreation & Tourism development and promotion. Students will receive exposure to critical thinking skills as well as a broad education and awareness of values, skills, and attitudes that will prepare them for responsible citizenship roles across the scope of the hospitality, recreation and tourism industry and society.
- BUSN 271 Principles of Management (3 Credits)
- COMM 154 Fundamentals of Public Speaking (3 Credits)
- CSIT 123 Integrated Office Software (3 Credits)
- ENGL 151 English I (3 Credits)
- ENGL 152 English II (3 Credits)
- HRTM 110 Introduction to Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism Management (3 Credits)
- HRTM 120 Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism (3 Credits)
- HRTM 212 Conferences, Conventions, and Special Events Management (3 Credits)
- HRTM 214 Supervision & Human Resource Management (3 Credits)
- HRTM 220 Managerial Accounting for Hospitality Industry (3 Credits)
- MATH 156 Introduction to Statistics (3 Credits) or higher
- Foreign Language * (6 Credits)
*Two sequential semesters of the same foreign language is recommended.
1 of the following 2 Economics Requirement courses is required:
- Lab Science Gen. Ed. Requirement (4 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirement must be taken from the list of Approved General Education Lab Science courses (course type: GSCL).
- Electives (to meet the required 64 Credits): 3 Credits Developmental courses may not be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Additional General Education Requirement (3 Credits): Courses satisfying this requirement must be taken from the list of Approved General Education courses for communication (GCOM), mathematics (GMAT), lab science (GSCL), technological competency or information literacy (GTEC), social science (GSOC), humanities (GHUM), history (GHIS) or diversity (GDIV).
For more information
CAREERS IN HOSPITALITY RECREATON AND TOURISM MANAGEMENT
Have you already applied for this degree?
Current students are encouraged to use curriculum guides, along with their Student Planning Degree Audit (My Progress Screen), to help make educated, accurate choices when selecting courses.
honors by contract
A wide range of courses are available for students to participate in OCC’s “Honors by Contract” Program!
Official* 2017-2018 Catalog
Our interactive catalog is updated throughout the year.
*Course requirements for degrees can and do change over time. Students are responsible for fulfilling the degree requirements that are in effect when they begin pursuing the degree at the college.